Sunday, October 25, 2009

VHD Boot and Windows Server 2008 R2 for SharePoint 2010 Development

OK, I think I may have came to the party slightly late with VHD Boot. It's one of those things that I've been meaning to look at for quite a while but never got around to. The performance hit that my VM took when running SharePoint 2010 on Windows Server 2008 inside VMWare/Sun VirtualBox served as something of a catalyst.

Simply put, VHD Boot allows you to boot from a VHD running Windows 7/Windows Server 2008 R2 operating system natively. My base setup is a Dell Latitude D630 with 4GB RAM running Windows 7 as the host OS. The steps I took were as follows:

  1. Booted from a Windows Server 2008 R2 CD
  2. Chose the "Repair my Computer" option
  3. Opened diskpart from the command prompt
  4. Created and mounted a new VHD file on my local disk, note: not an external USB drive, by doing the following:

    create vdisk file="d:\vhdboot\sp2010.vhd" type=expandable maximum=40960

    select vdisk="d:\vhdboot\sp2010.vhd"

    attach vdisk
  5. I then closed the command prompt window, closed the repair options and went back to setup
  6. The newly created drive was available as a resource to install to
  7. Install Windows Server 2008 R2 as usual
  8. Your boot menu will now have Windows Server 2008 R2 available as a bootable resource

Enjoy all

No comments:

Post a Comment